The most idiotic thing I've ever done isn't a single moment I can point to and cringe at. It's quieter than that. It's a habit, and habits are harder to catch yourself in, because they don't feel like mistakes while you're making them.
I say "later" a lot. Too much, honestly.
It shows up most on rides. I'll be a few hours into a route, somewhere unfamiliar, and something will catch my eye, a food stall that smells like it's worth stopping for, a side road I haven't explored, a view that deserves five minutes. And instead of pulling over, some part of my brain goes: I'll get it on the way back. Later's fine.
Except later almost never plays out the way I imagine it. The stall's shutters are down by the time I loop back. The light that made the view worth stopping for is gone. Sometimes I don't even ride back the same way the road forks somewhere and that "later" quietly dies without me noticing.
What gets me is how reasonable it feels in the moment. It doesn't feel like avoidance. It feels like momentum, don't break the ride, don't lose the flow, deal with it after. But if I'm honest, "later" is where I've been parking every problem I didn't want to face head-on. Not just food stalls and side roads. Conversations I should've had sooner. Decisions I sat on until they made themselves. Perspectives I could've gotten if I'd just stopped and asked, instead of assuming I'd circle back to it eventually.
The ride is just the most literal, unforgiving version of the habit. There's no vague "I'll deal with it" on a bike, you don't stop for food, you're genuinely hungry on an empty stretch an hour later with nothing around for miles. You don't take the unknown turn, you simply never find out what was down it. Consequences don't negotiate.
I don't think I'm lazy. I think I've just gotten too comfortable believing there's always a next chance. Most times, there isn't. The truly idiotic part isn't any one missed stall or missed turn, it's how many times I've watched this pattern play out and still said "later" the very next time.

If you have any suggestions let me know...