I tried to make AI run my Instagram. Here’s what actually happened

Anime-style blue scrambler parked above a misty green valley
Learning · Rides · One Saturday evening

I have a full-time job, a bike that wants weekends, a blog with five hundred posts, and an Instagram page called @solorider_2040 that I kept promising myself I'd post on "daily." Two reels a day. That was the plan. That plan lasted about as long as most plans do.

So one Saturday evening I sat down with an AI assistant and typed something close to: "Make my reels. Add music. Post them on my handle. Every day. I don't want to do anything."

What followed was two hours of building, breaking, and rebuilding. By the end I had a system that genuinely works. It just wasn't the system I asked for. Here's the honest version.

"I don't want to do anything" turned out to be the most expensive sentence of the evening.

01  The first wall: AI can't touch Instagram

The first answer I got was useful: a daily formula. One reach reel (7–15 seconds, relatable, made to be shared) and one depth reel (a story, a tip, a poem, made to be saved). A hook bank. A weekly rotation so I'd never run dry.

The second answer was the honest one. No assistant can log into Instagram and press "post" for you. Instagram's trending audio also can't be added from outside the app. The only official way to post automatically needs a business account, a Facebook page and a developer app, and even then you lose the trending sounds that actually push reels.

Fair. I lowered my ask: "Then at least make the video. Every day."

02  The GitHub detour (and the $2-a-day surprise)

We built a proper little project: a script that writes the day's ideas, generates clips through Google's video API, stitches them into vertical reels, adds text and sends them to my phone. It ran on GitHub's free scheduler. On paper, perfect.

Then we checked the pricing page. The video API isn't free. Around ten cents per second of video, so roughly $2 a day for two short reels. Not ruinous, but not what I wanted for a hobby page that isn't paying me yet.

Here's the thing I knew and almost forgot: the Gemini app on my phone already makes 10-second videos for free. I'd been doing it by hand for weeks. The app has a daily limit, but it's free. That changed the whole design.

03  Finding the look

I shared a reel I liked: an anime-style rider seen from behind, on a wet green ghat road, leaves drifting, a lightning flash at the end. That became the house style, written into every prompt word for word so the page looks like one world instead of random clips:

The house style
Hand-painted anime-style animation · soft painterly backgrounds · moody light · drifting leaves · the same rider every time · a blue neo-retro scrambler with golden forks (yes, it looks a lot like my own Speed 400) · relaxed, safe riding, no stunts.

The AI writes the scene in three beats, [0–3s] [3–7s] [7–10s], and changes the place and mood every day: misty Western Ghats one day, Konkan sunset the next.

Then a script adds the hook, two short lines, a comment prompt and my handle on top. Here is the same moment, raw from Gemini and finished:

Raw Gemini clip: rider on a misty wet road
Raw clip
Finished reel with hook text: 5 AM. No plan. Just the road.
Finished reel

One tiny fix mattered: the text first sat right on the rider's helmet. Moving it into the sky made every frame cleaner.

04  The moment it actually worked

The real breakthrough wasn't code. It was letting the assistant use the Claude app's own browser on my laptop. It opened Gemini, picked "Create video," set it to portrait, typed the prompt, waited, downloaded the clip, added the text and handed me two finished reels.

It also hit a wall I'd hit a hundred times myself: "You've reached your video generation limit." My main account was done for the day. We switched to a second Google account I'm signed into, and both clips came out in about five minutes.

Four frames from the second reel: rider at a viewpoint, golden valley, rainbow

Reel 2, start to finish: "Some roads are worth getting lost on." Ten seconds, zero filming.

05  How the system runs now

8:13 PM  Writes tomorrow's two ideas
Weekday theme, new location and mood, a quick trend check.
↓
Generates two 10-second clips in Gemini
Free app, my own login, inside the Claude desktop app's browser.
↓
Adds hook, text and handle
1080×1920, ready for Reels.
↓
Saves reels + captions to a folder on my laptop
I post at 8 AM and 7 PM, add a trending sound, done.

If my laptop is off at 8:13, nothing breaks. I open the Claude app on any laptop, type one command, and it does the whole run on the spot. That was the real ask all along: not "never touch it," but "one button, any day, any machine."

06  The caption rule I'm keeping forever

My early captions were paragraphs with twelve hashtags. Then I learned Instagram now caps posts and Reels at five hashtags, and generic tags like #reels or #viral don't help reach anyway. The new formula:

Caption = one line + follow line + 5 tags
5 AM, no plan, just the road ️
Follow @solorider_2040 for more solo rides ️
#bikelife #bikersofinstagram #ridersofindia #westernghats #aiart
1A big riding tag#bikelife or #motorcycle
2An engaged community#bikersofinstagram
3The home crowd#ridersofindia
4The place or mood#westernghats, #goldenhour…
5The style#aiart or #animeart

07  What I learned (the honest list)

  • "Fully hands-off" is mostly a myth. Posting and trending audio still need me. That's two minutes a reel, and honestly it keeps me connected to my own page.
  • Free beats clever. The fancy API pipeline worked on paper; the free app I already used is what runs every day.
  • Consistency is a style decision, not a posting schedule. One rider, one bike, one look. The places change; the world stays the same.
  • Limits are part of the design. Daily caps, laptops that sleep, accounts that run out. Build the fallback in from day one.
  • Label AI as AI. I switch on Instagram's AI label. The page is about the feeling of the road, not pretending.

The road taught me you can't automate the ride.
Turns out you can automate the postcard.

Follow the daily reels on Instagram: @solorider_2040

Pratik Kumar

Pratik Kumar

Your journey begins here. At the intersection of mindful self-care and deliberate growth, I guide you through the terrain of becoming. This isn't just about improvement it's about revelation. Uncovering what already exists within you, waiting to emerge. Here, we explore practical wisdom that nurtures both inner peace and outward achievement. No empty promises just honest pathways to living with greater purpose and authentic joy. Whether you're seeking subtle shifts or profound reinvention, you'll find tools, insights, and a companion for the journey. Step in. The path to your most fulfilled self unfolds one conscious choice with the flow.

More about me

Comments (0)