For a long time, I said yes to everyone. Whenever a friend needed help with work, or wanted me to come along somewhere, I was there. Later I noticed there was no value and no recognition for it.
So, should you help people who never value you? My honest answer: yes, sometimes, but not at the cost of yourself. Here’s how I got there.
What happened when I kept saying yes
I did the work for my friends. I gave my time and effort, and when it was over, nothing came back, not even a simple thank you. At first it bothered me. It wasn’t one big moment. It was many small ones: a favour here, a day spent on someone else’s work there, a plan I joined only because I couldn’t say no.
Then I realised something that was hard to accept. Most people aren’t thinking about what it cost me. They want their work done on time. Once it is, they move on. It isn’t always bad intent. Often, that is just how people are.
Why I still help, even when it’s hard
I’m not like that. When someone does something good for me, or helps me when I need it, I never forget it, and I do things for them in return.
Even when someone has let me down or cheated me at the wrong time, I still help them if they ask. That’s who I am, and I don’t want to lose it. But I’ve also learned that there has to be something right for me too. Being kind shouldn’t mean I always end up with nothing.
A yes from the heart vs a yes from guilt
Not every yes is the same. Looking back, I can now tell them apart.
I would do it again.
I don’t need a medal. A little respect is enough.
I was afraid of what they would think.
I felt resentment afterwards.
Three questions I ask before saying yes
If the answer to all three is no, I try a polite no. It may disappoint someone, and I’ve accepted that. A no said honestly and kindly hurts less than a yes I carry around for weeks.
I’m not saying stop helping people. I’m saying help with open eyes. Start small, one no at a time.
Quick answers
Should you help people who never appreciate you?
Help when you truly want to and can afford it, not to earn approval. If it keeps costing you more than it gives, set limits.
Is it wrong to expect something in return?
No. It doesn’t have to be money or praise. Basic respect and a thank-you are fair to expect.
How do you say no without hurting a friendship?
Keep it short, kind and honest, like “I can’t take this on right now.” You don’t owe a long explanation.
Tell me your story in the comments. I read every one.
Related reading: Finding Inner Peace · Habits That Actually Work
Comments (0)
If you have any suggestions let me know...